Sunday, September 27, 2009

Snow Babies

The challenge over at Mix It Up! this week was to use aluminum foil and masking tape on a layout. Here's my take:They provided us with this sketch:
I had some metallic contractor's tape in my stash from, oh, about 7 years ago when metal accents were all the rage. Everything old is new again! I ran it through the Sizzix with the snowflake Cuttlebug embossing folder to make a cool accent strip. The great thing about using this metal tape (I don't really know what the real purpose of it is--maybe to tape together heating ducts? Anyone?). Anyway, the great thing about it is that it's already sticky backed. Simply peel off the liner and stick it down. I used this same tape to die cut the snowflakes (SU! Sparkle die). A touch more tape to emboss and punch a snowflake "o" in the title, and to punch two small snowflakes for the corners. For the masking tape, I cut strips in half to use as journaling lines, and stuck some to a scrap of CS and punched with SU!'s corner punch.
The title is also cut from masking tape. Here's how:
  1. Type words using Word Art tool in Word.
  2. Flip horizontal to create a mirror image and print.
  3. Use a light box or window and place the masking tape on the back side over the top of your printed text (the text will be reading correctly from this side through the light).
  4. Cut out your letters and tape them to your layout. Easy peasy!

Try your hand at some handmade metal embellishments using aluminum foil/metal tape. Run it through a die cutter, emboss it, or how about a few drops of alcohol ink. Fun, fun!

4 comments:

  1. WOW how creative!!! I would have never thought of that! The tape is for taking heating ducts and it SUCKS!!! speaking from experience unfortunately. I think ours has red letters on it though so I can't use it ;(
    great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job! i totally love the metallic tape embossed, it's totally wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now have my idea for my winter solstice cards..I'm not at liberty to say more so you will have to wait 'till you get yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay I'm adding you to my blog, your going to become my scrapbook go to blog when I need ideas. I'm stealing your button too if you have one!!

    I'm waiting to print out a picture of my kitten so I can do a scrapbook page to which I can frame. I've been to lazy to take my camera to walmart. I'll get there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I love that you are leaving a little note to let me know you were here!